Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Furiously Happy Book Review

I've heard of Jenny Lawson and her first book 'Let's Pretend This Never Happened', often seen the book listed on Goodreads but never decided to read it for some reason. But when I saw 'Furiously Happy' on NetGalley it grabbed my attention. I don't know if it was the title, the cover or the fact that it's about mental health but I requested it and was accepted. And then kinda forgot about it, because I had so many other books to read. But a few weeks ago I saw this Book Break video by Leena Norms for Pan Macmillan and it brought the book back on my radar.





I started reading the book and sped through it. It had me laughing out loud in places, especially the story of the raccoon and all his shenanigans. The conversations Jenny has with her husband reminds me of the type of conversations I have with my boyfriend. I often wonder what people would think if they overheard us! Mostly though the book had me thinking. Recently I've been wanting to read more about mental health. I read Matt Haig's Reasons to Stay Alive and so much of it resonated with me, it had me nodding and crying along. This book was the same. Recently my mental health has taken a dip and I've started having anxiety attacks again. The depression is creeping in and wrapping it's hands around me and turning things dark. It's not been easy but reading this book has helped. Jenny's Furiously Happy mantra has been bouncing around my head. There will always be bad days around the corner, where I can't get dressed and the idea of having a shower is a monumental effort. Days where I just want to sit in a dark cupboard and hide. Days where I cry over the smallest things and days where I'm the worst person ever and I hate myself. But there will always be good days too. Jenny proposes being furiously happy during those days, to make the most out of the good times but also as a way to shove it in depression's face. That while it can drag us down, we can also enjoy life and live it to the full. The word furiously is quite apt actually. Last night I was thinking about all this and when I've felt good and all fired up in the past, I have already been furious. Furiously happy, wanting to do ALL THE THINGS and packing as much as I can into my life. Furiously determined to have a good time and hit some of my goals, even if  sometimes those goals can be as little as getting dressed and walking to the shop. Furiously accepting, mainly of myself. I think 'Yes, I'm FUCKING AWESOME!' and I scream back at that dark little voice in my head whispering it's lies in my head and tell it to shut up. 

After reading this book, I started looking up Jenny's blog The Blogess and came across a book trailer video for Furiously Happy. Oh how it made me cry. So many of us suffer from poor self esteem and mental health and it can twist and contort our perception on life, especially about ourselves. We need to be kinder to ourselves. I hope I can remember this when I say horrible things to myself.



Do I recommend this book? Yes I do! You should read it if you suffer from mental health problems. If you're someone who wants to know more about mental health because who you want to understand what a friend is going through, you should read this. This book isn't preachy, it's not perfect either and it doesn't pretend it is. This is Jenny's experience, everyone's is different but we can all learn from each other. And it helps that this book is funny. Pick it up if you get the chance!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. Furiously Happy and Reasons to Stay Alive are now both firmly on my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma. Let me know how you get on with them once you pick them up :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...