The first time I tried red velvet cake was at Christmas time and it was divine! I’ve been wanting to make it ever since but haven’t gotten around to it. I remember seeing on Bakerella’s blog a post of green velvet cupcakes and thought St. Patrick’s Day would be the perfect time to make it! I’ll go back soon and add in metric measurements as well. I actually used cups though when making these (though I generally don’t like doing that). I also halved the icing amount as I had half a bowl left after. The icing was pretty sweet, so you could reduce the sugar if you wanted.
Green Velvet Cupcakes
Makes about 24
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, whisked
1 cup oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tsp green food dye colouring (liquid)
Cream Cheese Icing
4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line tin with cupcake liners.
2. Add all liquid ingredients to one bowl, stir and set aside.
3. Sift all dry ingredients into another bowl and stir to mix. Add the wet ingredients and mix using medium-high with a handheld mixer (or in a food processor).
4. Add mixture to the liners and bake for 30 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean).
5. Remove when ready, leave to cool for 10 minutes before taking out of the pan and transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Make icing. Cream butter and cream cheese together in a bowl. Add vanilla. Sift in the sugar in batches and mix.