Ok, I decided I needed something easy to blog about to easy myself back in. And since I wrote about a cake week in one of my last posts, I thought that would be the best place to start!
I made this cake almost a year ago for my youngest brother, who’s a Lego freak. I bought this Lego ice mould back in 2011, unfortunately just after my brother’s birthday, so I kept it a secret for a whole year so to surprise him with this cake.
To make the chocolate Lego men, melt chocolate (in whatever flavour, I used milk and white), pour into mould and let set. If you want to be properly fancy, you can temper the chocolate but I didn’t. To give the white chocolate a yellow colour, I mixed in some yellow food colouring. I do not recommend this, as it causes the chocolate to seize up and go grainy. If you are serious about colouring the colour, either buy candy melts like the Wilton ones or look for out for powder or oil based colouring.
Chocolate Lego Cake with Buttercream Icing
100g butter, room temperature
125g self raising flour
25g cocoa powder
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
75g butter, room temperature
150g icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Cream butter and sugar together until soft and fluffy
2. Add half the flour and cocoa and half the egg. Mix together.
3. Add remaining egg and vanilla essence, and mix.
4. Fold in remaining flour. If mixture if a bit too dry for you, add a dash of milk. Spoon mixture into 2 sandwich tins
5. Cook for 12-15 minutes, or until a knife stuck into the centre of cake comes out clean.
6. To make buttercream icing, cream icing sugar and butter together until smooth. Add in vanilla essence and mix together
The amount of chocolate you need for the Lego men will depend on how many you want to make! It’s really up to you.