Monday, August 26, 2013

Lego Cake

DSC05056

Ok, I decided I needed something easy to blog about to easy myself back in. And since I wrote about a cake week in one of my last posts, I thought that would be the best place to start!

I made this cake almost a year ago for my youngest brother, who’s a Lego freak. I bought this Lego ice mould back in 2011, unfortunately just after my brother’s birthday, so I kept it a secret for a whole year so to surprise him with this cake.

To make the chocolate Lego men, melt chocolate (in whatever flavour, I used milk and white), pour into mould and let set. If you want to be properly fancy, you can temper the chocolate but I didn’t. To give the white chocolate a yellow colour, I mixed in some yellow food colouring. I do not recommend this, as it causes the chocolate to seize up and go grainy. If you are serious about colouring the colour, either buy candy melts like the Wilton ones or look for out for powder or oil based colouring.

Chocolate Lego Cake with Buttercream Icing

Ingredients

100g sugar

100g butter, room temperature

125g self raising flour

25g cocoa powder

1 large egg, beaten

1 tsp vanilla essence

Buttercream Icing

75g butter, room temperature

150g icing sugar

Vanilla essence

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Cream butter and sugar together until soft and fluffy

2. Add half the flour and cocoa and half the egg. Mix together.

3. Add remaining egg and vanilla essence, and mix.

4. Fold in remaining flour. If mixture if a bit too dry for you, add a dash of milk. Spoon mixture into 2 sandwich tins

5. Cook for 12-15 minutes, or until a knife stuck into the centre of cake comes out clean.

6. To make buttercream icing, cream icing sugar and butter together until smooth. Add in vanilla essence and mix together

The amount of chocolate you need for the Lego men will depend on how many you want to make! It’s really up to you.

DSC05059

6 comments:

  1. Oohh we both love lego too were thinking about a lego themed wedding cake, no joke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! we had lego people on our wedding cake but I didn't even think of chocolate ones! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh so cool! A friend of mine had Star Wars Lego people hold the rings, it was awesome

      Delete
  3. Ahhh this is class!!!! My son is a huge lego fan, it's too late to do this for his birthday now but I'll definitely keep it in mind for cupcakes at some stage, brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SO hard to wait a whole year to make this cake for my brother! They'd be really cute on cupcakes

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...