Sunday, July 21, 2019

The Reading Rush Readathon 2019 TBR (formerly BookTubeAThon)

The BookTubeAThon was a week long readathon that originated on YouTube in 2013, founded by two BookTubers Ariel and Raeleen. This year it's got a revamp and is known as The Reading Rush. The premise is still the same: a week of reading, 7 reading challenges to try complete, daily photo challenges on Instagram, video challenges on YouTube and fun things like book chats and reading sprints on Twitter. It runs this year from midnight 22nd July finishes midnight 29th July (though I used to just start it Monday morning and if I was still reading past midnight the Sunday night into Monday morning I counted it). It's a great way to challenge yourself and find other people online who are interested in the same things as you. 

I did the BookTubeAThon every year except last year. You can see my results for 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 by clicking through. Last year I just didn't feel very motivated by the challenges that were set and was going through a really bad reading slump. I wasn't sure if I'd do The Reading Rush this year but I liked the look of the challenges and I've since stated a bookish account on Instagram so thought it would be fun to join in there too. I took a picture for the Instagram account of my TBR pile for the challenges and decided I'll talk through the choices here.

A stack of 7 books from top to bottom: No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference by Greta Thunberg, Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg, Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann, Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata, a Kindle Fire with a black book cover

I have picked 7 books, one that will suit every challenge but a lot of them work for more than one challenge and the likelihood of me reading 7 books in the week is slim with a full time job and the fact I'm going away for the weekend too! I'm going to write all the 7 challenges below and put the applicable books under them. The book at the bottom of the pile is my Kindle and I can pick books from there

1. Read a book with purple on the cover
-The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie (it has the TINIEST amount of purple on the cover but it counts!)
-Another book from my Kindle, I'd have to look. I struggled a lot with this actually! I don't have many purple books

2. Read a book in the same spot the entire time (doesn't have to be all at once, as long as you read the book in the same location every time you read it)
-No One is Too Small to Make a Difference by Greta Thunberg
-Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata
-Sweet Valley High: Academic All Star? by Katy Rex (on Kindle)

3. Read a book you meant to read last year
-Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
-A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard

4. Read an author's first book
-Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (it was Gaiman's first book)
-I had put Convienience Store Woman in the pile partially because of this challenge but it's not the author's first book. It is the first one translated into English (I think) so I might possibly count it if I'm in a pinch

5. Read a book with a non-human main character
-Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann (this will also count as a book for Book Riot Read Harder so I'm delighted!)

6. Pick a book that has 5 or more words in the title
-Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
-The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie 
-No One is Too Small to Make a Difference by Greta Thunberg

7. Read and watch a book to movie adaptation
-Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

If I'm being honest, 30 minutes after choosing these books I changed my mind! ðŸ˜† Though I think that's the beauty with this, I can change my mind. You'll get to see what I actually picked to read and if it was any of these books!

Are you going to do The Reading Rush this year? Let me know below or come say hi on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...