So I’ve been slacking on the Foodie Friday idea I had, no idea why really when I have so many food related posts to make! I wanted to bake something nice for Valentine’s Day and seeing as I had some leftover truffle mixture from the Irish Foodie Romance Cookalong sitting in the fridge (I don’t know how it lasted that long in there either!), I decided to whip up a quick batch of cupcakes!
Chocolate Truffle Cupcakes with White Chocolate Buttercream Icing
Makes 12 large buns
150g Caster Sugar
175g Self Raising Flour
50g Cocoa powder
3 eggs, beaten
About 2-3 tablespoons melted chocolate truffle mixture (or just melted dark chocolate instead)
150g icing sugar
50g white chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Cream the butter and the sugar together until fluffy.
2. Add in half egg mixture and half the flour and cocoa powder and beat.
3. Add remaining egg mixture and vanilla essence and beat.
4. Fold in remaining flour mixture. Once it is fully folded in, fold in some of the melted truffle mixture.
5. Spoon into liner and bake for 10-15 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean (length of time to bake will depend on how big you make the cupcakes). Leave to cool fully before icing.
6. To make the icing, melt the white chocolate either in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of boiling water. Take off heat and let cool.
7. Cream the butter and icing sugar together. Once smooth, add the white chocolate and mix to incorporate. Icing the buns, either by icing a piper or just spreading on with a spoon.
When icing my cupcakes, I used a piping bag and used a small star tip to make the icing look like whipped cream. I added some strawberries for a romantic touch!
Shot to show the lovely liners I got off Deb from Ate by Ate last year for Valentine’s Day. My picture doesn’t do justice to the prettiness of them!