Wednesday, June 15, 2016

2016 Book Releases I’m Looking Forward To Part 2

Hello! So back in January I mentioned a few books I’m looking forward to this year. And nearly all that I mentioned are already out (and I’ve read most of them too!) because there wasn’t a lot of details for books released from June onwards. The past month or two more books have been announced so I’m going to write about them now! No doubt a few more will pop up come September time, if there’s enough of them I’ll do a third post. Some of these I mention below might be out already but I did hear about them before they came out.

The Trespasser by Tana French

the trespasser

Once I get my hands on Grunt by Mary Roach, the book I was most anticipating in my January post (and I should have my hands on it by the time this goes up!), this will be the next book I’ll be most excited about! When I finished The Secret Place in March I was sad there was no more Tana French books for me to read! Book number 6 in the Dublin Murder Squad, The Trespasser will follow Detective Antoinette Conway, who we saw in The Secret Place when she teamed up with Detective Stephen Moran. I can’t wait for it, I enjoyed Antoinette in The Secret Place, she intrigued me and I’m looking forward to seeing her narrate the story. Also this is the first female protagonist since Cassie Maddox in book 2 The Likeness so that’s another reason I’m looking forward to this one. 22nd September

 

Empire of Storms by Sarah J Maas

empire of storms

After writing my post in January I couldn’t BELIEVE I forgot to add this one in! Especially since I loved Queen of Shadows last year I don’t know how it slipped my mind to look up this book, especially since I knew book 5 would be coming out! So much went down in Queen of Shadows that just blew my mind and I have no doubt this will be great too. September 6th

 

 

 

Paradise Lodge by Nina Stibbe

paradise lodge

I’m a big fan of Nina Stibbe, both of her memoir Love, Nina and her first fiction book Man at the Helm which I read in 2014. Paradise Lodge sees the return of Lizzie Vogel, the narrator in Man at the Helm. Lizzie is now 15 years old and working in an old person’s home. I liked Lizzie’s voice in Man at the Helm so I’m looking forward to checking this one out. June 2nd

 

 

 

Where Am I Now? True Stories of Girlhood and Accidental Fame by Mara Wilson

where am I now mara wilson

If you don’t recognise the name Mara Wilson then you’ll probably recognise her face. Or at least her face as a child, as she was the young girl in Mrs Doubtfire and Matilda. Mara no longer acts but she writes and she’s very funny on Twitter too. I’ve read the first chapter of this from the Buzz Books Autumn/Winter 2016 and I really like it so I’m interested in reading the rest! September 15th

 

 

 

Saga Volume 6 by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples

saga volume 6

I was late on the Saga bandwagon but I read Volumes 1-5 in April and was very happy to find out that book 6 is out soon. I’ve been enjoying this space opera with all the crazy characters and after reading A Long Way to a Lonely Planet by Becky Chambers last month, I’ve had a greater understanding and love of books set in space! July 5th

 

 

 

 

Precious and Grace by Alexander McCall Smith

precious & grace

These books from the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series come out pretty much every year but for the past 2 or 3 years I haven’t actually heard about the book until it’s been released, they’ve snuck up on me! This year I’ve found out that book 17 will be out September 1st.

 

 

 

 

The Muse by Jessie Burton

the muse jessie burton

Jessie Burton’s debut novel The Miniaturist was a big hit, I read it last year and really enjoyed it. From what I can gather, The Muse follows two women from different eras that have a mysterious link. In 1960s London, Caribbean immigrant Odelle is hired by an art gallery and discovers a painting from Isaac Robles. Olive Schloss is the daughter of a Viennese Jewish art dealer father and English heiress mother. She follows her parents out to Spain in 1930s and Teresa, a housekeeper, and her half brother Isaac Robles. I saw a video from Pan Macmillian on their YouTube account where Jessie Burton reads an extract, which you can watch if you click here. July 26th

 

American Monsters by Derek Landy

American Monsters Derek Landy

This is book 3 in the Demon Road trilogy. I read book one Demon Road in March and I read the 2nd book Desolation Road in April after it came out. This book is due out in August, which is awful quick after book 2, so I’m taking it with a pinch of salt at the moment, but it would be great to finish the series this year! August 25th

 

 

 

 

A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers

A closed and common orbit

I read Becky Chambers’ first book A Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet last month for the Rick O’Shea Book Club and LOVED it! So I was pleased to here her next month is out later this year. While Goodreads has this listed as book 2 in the series, I read an interview by Becky Chambers where she says it’s not a direct sequel but does feature one or two characters from the first book. I’m looking forward to returning to this world from the book one and just finishing out more about it! October 20th

 

 

Geek Feminist Revolution by Kameron Hurley

geek feminist revolution

I’ve read a few books about feminism this year so I was interested when I saw this book of essays by science fiction author Kameron Hurley. The book will talk about feminism, geek culture and Hurley’s experiences of writing science fiction novels. May 31st

 

 

 

 

 

Shrill: Notes From a Loud Woman by Lindy West

shrill

I’ll admit, I don’t actually know a lot about Lindy West, I was drawn in by the book cover, which I featured in my Book Covers post. Judging by what I’ve read about the book, Shrill is a bunch of essays where West writes about her life and how she changed from someone quiet to a loud and proud feminist and it’s promised to be a funny read. May 17th

 

 

 

 

Trainwreck: The Women We Love to Hate, Mock, and Fear and Why by Sady Doyle

trainwreck sady doyle

Last year I read So You’ve Been Publically Shamed by Jon Ronson and it struck a chord at how easy it is these days to shame and judge people. Trainwreck sounds like a similar concept, but instead it focuses in on women throughout the ages who have been judged for ‘misbehaving’, such as Britney Spears in her 2007 melt down and the public decline of Amy Winehouse that resulted in her death. Another book with a feminist outlook I think this will be fascinating! September 20th for Kindle, October 7th for hardcover.

 

Pretty Iconic by Sali Hughes

I have no picture for the cover of this but it’s a follow up to Pretty Honest by Sali Hughes, who is a fantastic beauty journalist. I’m guessing the book is about Iconic beauty items, so I expect to see Chanel No. 5 in there! October 6th

 

Poison City by Paul Crilley

poison city paul crilley

 Poison City is the first in a new series by Paul Crilley about a South African policeman calld Gideon Tau who works for the Delphic Division, which deals with occult investigation. His sidekick is a mean drunk dog. I first heard about this when Elizabeth from Books and Pieces mentioned it and it reminds me of the Rivers of London series, so I want to give this a go! August 11th

 

 

 

Speaking of the Rivers of London series, books 6 The Hanging Tree which I mentioned in January (and last year’s 2nd book release post) has been pushed back not once but twice since I wrote the post in January. I hope it does come out by the end of the year as I’ve been dying to read it, I finally have a glimpse into how Game of Thrones fans feel like! Also the post in January mentioned a few books that are still to be released such as the new Allie Brosh book (of Hyperbole and a Half fame) and the first book in Marissa Meyer’s new series so if you want to learn more about them read the first post by clicking here. I’m still waiting to here if there will be a new Robert Galbraith, it could still be announced! Like I said, if there’s enough to write another post in a few month’s time then I will, otherwise my next one will be January 2017 for the 2017 releases.

Any of these tickle your fancy? Or maybe you’ve read one of them already? Let me know by leaving a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...