Thursday, October 6, 2016

Recent Book Accquisitions

Hello! It’s been a while since I showed the books I’ve bought. I had a post in April showing some of the books I had got, including some books I won, and of course there was my LA Bookish post. I’ve managed to accquire a few more books since then and thought I’d do a post showing you those books.

 

stack of books showing Knit London by Emma King, HHhH by Laurent Binet, Empire of Storms by Sarah J Maas, The Girl of Ink and Stars by Kiran Millwood Hargrave, Hygge by Charlotte Abrahams, Dear Lupin by Roger Mortimer and Charlie Mortimer

From top to bottom

Knit London by Emma KingKnit London by Emma King

I saw this in TK Maxx reduced to a few quid and couldn’t resist it. Look how cute it is! I don’t have many knitting books so it’s nice to try and build up my collection a small bit.

 

 

 

 

HHhH by Laurent Binet- This book has been on my TBR for a while and it was 25c in a charity shop! Hopefully having a copy of this book will encourage me to get around to reading it quicker than it would have.

 

empire of storms

Empire of Storms by Sarah J Maas. I preordered my copy and when it arrived it also came with this map and mug! I was so thrilled, it was a fun surprise.

 

 

 

 

 

The Girl of Ink and Stars by Kiran Millwood Hargrave- My sister bought this book and I nabbed it off her. I don’t know much about it but it is beautiful! Just look at the front cover and the inside. So pretty

the girl of ink and stars book

 

 

hygge

Hygge by Charlotte Abrahams- Hygge (pronounced HUE-gah) is a word that is all over the place at the moment. It’s a Danish word and at it’s most basic it means having a nice warm atmosphere and enjoying life’s simple pleasures with friends and family. I’m currently listening to The Year of Living Danishly and hygge has been mentioned a lot so I requested a review copy of this book from Orion’s new imprint Trapeze Books. I can’t wait to get stuck in and truly learn what hygge is. The book is so pretty too, the cover is rubberised, the triangle are gold foil and the dark triangles are fuzzy!

 

 

Dear Lupin by Roger Mortimer and Charlie Mortimer- I’ve seen this book before but don’t know that much about it. I know it’s non-fiction and it’s done in letter, which was the real reason I picked it up (that and the fact it was super cheap!)

 

Five Star Billionaire by Tash Aw- So this isn’t a new buy for me, I bought it a year ago and then misplaced it. I was beginning to think I actually hadn’t bought it in the first place! It then turned up in a random place. This was 99p from The Works.

 

I’ve also picked up a few e-books as well, all picked up on Kindle for cheap.

 

kindle books

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers- I got this on offer because it was a pick for the Rick O’Shea Book Club. Around the same time the audiobook was also on offer but I decided on the ebook. I’ve read this one already and loved it! You can check out the review here.

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir- I’ve heard a lot of good things about this book and it’s not in the library so I said I’d give it a chance.

The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen- I actually have an ARC of the second books so I needed to get a copy of the first one! I think the 3rd one is out now so once I get reading this I can power through them all if I enjoy this.

We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie- This is based off her TED talk and everyone should read it. It’s short and I read it one morning while waiting to collect my mother. You can read my review here.

The Vegetarian by Han Kang- This has been a book I’ve heard a lot about all summer long so I’m intrigued to give this a chance. It’s supposed to be a bit odd so I’m not sure what to make of it but there’s only one way to find out and that’s to read it!

And that’s it! Sometimes I wish I could buy more books and if I had the money no doubt I would. But I need to start working my way through the books I already own first. That might be my challenge for next year.

If you’ve read any of the books above I’d love to hear about them. Leave me a comment below

2 comments:

  1. Love We Should All Be Feminists, just wish I could remember some of her points when arguing with people! I'm still reading The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet- I just keep putting it down! I'm about 60% in so I really must finish it! The Girl of Ink and Stars looks SO beautiful! Can't wait to see what you think. I'm mad into Hygge too- I'll be buying the books for everyone! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I loved A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet! It isn't very action packed but I love the characters and world building. I know what you mean about remembering points from We Should All Be Feminists (or any books on feminism), I nearly always think of the best points after I've finished talking/arguing!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...