Tuesday, January 15, 2019

2018 Book Stats

I love looking at how my reading habits over the years change. I know I planned to do this last year, I remember writing everything out and getting it all together. Only I didn’t write the blog post. But I’ll use the stats here so yay!


Fiction vs Non-Fiction Books

graph

27% of the books I read last year were non-fiction (and a lot of those were read during Nonfiction November tbh). I don’t know what I expected this to look like but I am pleased. Since 2014 my non-fiction book reading has been dropping (35% in 2014, 29% 2015, 20% 2016 and a shockingly poor 12% in 2017) so it’s nice to see it rise again! I think Nonfiction November really helped, looking back on when I first tried it in 2016 it worked then too (about half the non-fiction books I read that year were read in November and December!)


Physical Books vs E-Books vs Audio Books

graph (2)

As per 2014-2017, physical books are the main type of books I read. 2018 55% of the books I read last year were physical books. Over 50% of the books I’ve read 2014-2018 are physical books (except for 2016 when it was 49%). 2017 and 2018 saw decreases in e-books (46% in 2016 to 38% to 27%), probably because my audiobook usage increased from 5% in 2016 and 2017 to 18% in 2018! Its interesting to see that this increase in audiobooks has taken away from e-books but not the physical books I read.


Book Sources

graph (3)

I thought it would be interesting to see where I get my books, especially because I want to try tackle more of the books that I own. 39% of the books I read last year were books that I had purchased (be it physical books, e-books or audiobooks), compared to 40% from the library (physical books, e-books and audiobooks) and 21% Advanced Read Copies (I think all but one last year were e-books). I only have 2017 stats for this to compare to but in 2017 20% of the books I read were my own books, compared to 50% and 30% for library and ARCs respectively. So I’m pleased with that!

I didn’t really bother looking at looking at female vs male writers like I’ve done in the past. I know it’s still majority female and I can’t see it changing much this either.

I like that Goodreads gives you a snazzy graphic to breakdown your reading!

2018 books

2018 part 2


Average rating of 3.5 seems about right to me, there were some books I didn’t really enjoy much and being in a reading slump didn’t seem to make it any better.

Other fun facts

-I marked 4 books as DNF (Did Not Finish) on Goodreads, two which I had started in 2017 and didn’t finish.

-13 of the audiobooks I listened to were from Audible. 6661 minutes on their app! With November being the month I mostly used it (makes sense I was doing Non-Fiction November then)

-2018 is the first year I haven’t done BookTubeAThon since it started in 2013. I just wasn’t feeling the challenges this year, it felt a bit lacklustre challenge wise but I might join this year depending on the challenges or just to join in on Instagram and Twitter.

-Two themed months: Irish authors in March (4th time doing it since 2014) and Non-Fiction November (2nd time doing it). Both of which I’ll most likely do this year. I might also look into other themed weeks or months like Women in Translation or #OwnVoices October.

-Yearly reading challenge was Book Riot Read Harder challenge which I completed. You can check out the results in this post here.

Maybe this doesn’t interest anyone else but I like stats and numbers and seeing where things can be improved. The main thing I want to improve on in 2019 is reading more non-fiction and reading more of the books that I own (mainly so I can buy more!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...