I love cupcakes. I think it’s been well established on here already! One of my favourite food blogs to look for ideas if Fake Ginger. I’ve been following Amanda since before I even knew what blogs really were! I just love her photography, it’s stunning. I had some Oreos to use up and decided to look at the website to see what I could make. And boy did Amanda pull through with these Cookie and Cream Cupcakes!
Cookie and Cream Cupcakes
Adapted from Fake Ginger
For the cupcakes: 24 Oreo halves (with cream filling attached), 2¼ cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp salt, 8 tbsp unsalted butter (at room temperature), 1 2/3 cup sugar, 3 large egg whites (at room temperature), 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 cup milk , 20 Oreo cookies (coarsely chopped)
For the frosting: 8 oz cream cheese (at room temperature), 6 tbsp unsalted butter (at room temperature), 1 tbsp vanilla extract, 4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted, 2 tbsp heavy cream, 6-8 crushed Oreos (optional)
For garnish: 24 Oreo cookie halves
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.Line two cupcake pans with 24 paper liners. Place an Oreo half in the bottom of each liner, cream side up. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl, stir together with a fork and leave aside.
- Add the sugar and butter to a bowl and cream until light and fluffy, either user a hand mixer or an electric bowl mixer. Blend in the egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract and mix in.
- On a low speed, beat in half of the dry ingredients until just incorporated. Add the milk and whisk until combined, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients.
- Gently fold in the chopped Oreos with a rubber spatula or a spoon until evenly incorporate, being careful not to over-mix.
- Evenly divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners and bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter in a bowl and beat on a medium-high speed until smooth (roughly 1 minute). Blend in the vanilla extract. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar until fully incorporated and smooth. Add the heavy cream to the bowl and beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium-high and whip for 4 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the crushed Oreos if you want even more Oreo goodness!
- Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired. Garnish with Oreo halves.