So, seeing as January is usually a month of dieting and ‘being good’, I should be posting a healthy recipe. But in my books, January is a month of debt, depression, damp darkness and general gloominess and there’s no way people should be depriving themselves! Life is too short and miserable to be doing that. So my Chocolate Orange Cupcakes with Baileys Buttercream Icing is the perfect way to indulge yourself.
Chocolate Orange Cupcakes with Baileys Buttercream Icing
Makes: About 12
100g butter, room temperature
125g self raising flour
25g cocoa powder
1 large egg, beaten
Zest of one orange/few drops orange essence
75g butter, room temperature
150g icing sugar
1 teaspoon Baileys Irish Cream
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Cream butter and sugar together until soft and fluffy
2. Add half the flour and cocoa and half the egg. Mix together.
3. Add remaining egg and orange zest (or essence) and mix.
4. Fold in remaining flour. If mixture if a bit too dry for you, add a dash of milk. Spoon mixture into bun cases.
5. Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until a knife stuck into the centre of cake comes out clean.
6. To make buttercream icing, cream icing sugar and butter together until smooth. Add in Baileys (you can add more for taste if you wish) and mix together.
I decorated mine with a Haribo orange sweet and some chocolate sprinkles but you can do it anyway you want. Let me know what you think of them!