Saturday, November 6, 2010

30 Day Music Meme: Day Five

Day 5 – A song that reminds you of someone

Again, this is a hard one to pick. So many songs remind me of people. But tying in with yesterday’s sad theme, I’m going to choose a song that reminds me of someone who’s passed away.

Israel "IZ" Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole’s version of ‘Somewhere Over The Rainbow’ was played at my cousin’s funeral three years ago and I still tear up to this day when I hear it. I found it hard to listen to while writing this, it’s still so raw. It was used in a lot of advertisements on TV in the past year or so and every time I heard one come on, I had to turn it over. But when I do stop to think about the lyrics, the happy images remind me of my cousin. The song is beautiful too, the gentle strumming of ukulele and Israel’s soft gentle voice. The song should really be a happy one but I’ve always found it sad, even when listening Judy Garland’s version.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...