Wednesday, April 11, 2012

30 Days of Pinterest: Day 11

I was feeling a bit crafty so I turned to my DIY board for inspiration. There I saw a pin leading to a tutorial for turning a t-shirt into a cardigan. I rummaged through my wardrobe, found a suitable shirt and got to work!

Before

DSC02706

I was feeling so, uh, inspired that I didn’t bother to iron it before (even though number one tip is to always iron your material!).

After

DSC02707

I decided to go for simple for the first time, hence why I didn’t add the ruffles like in the tutorial. Here’s how I did it.

1. Measure out where you want to cut (I went for the middle) and mark using tailor’s chalk.

2. Cut up the middle, I used a pinking shears so my fabric wouldn’t ravel, but you could just use a scissors if that’s what you have.

3. Fold the edge material so the raw edge is touching the inside of the fabric, about 1/4 inch. Then fold in again another 1/4 inch or so, so that you can no longer see the raw edge, it’s now hidden by the second fold. Pin into place.

4. Sew a straight line down the middle of the fold, when you turn it around and look at it the ‘right’ away, it’ll look like this

DSC02714

The further from the edge you sew, the larger the effect from the seam will look. If you prefer you can sew closer to the edge and it will look like this

DSC02710

Sewing closer to the edge will cause it to ‘ripple’ slightly, which is good if you like this effect. If not, sew further in. (Since I’m a sewing novice, that happened to me by accident!).

I liked how it turned out, however my t-shirt is stretch, which I didn’t like wearing after. Next time I try this, I probably will add the ruffles and use a material that doesn’t stretch.

2 comments:

  1. I love this series of posts! I really love Pinterest and you've inspired me to have a look through my boards and try new things. Still didn't get the caramels, but I will and I will have my cake in a mug! Inspirational x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you! That's such a nice thing to hear, it really encouraged me today when I felt like doing nothing!

    And you can make the cake without the caramels! It'll taste just as nice. But I do think the caramels adds a nice extra 'dimension' to the taste!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...