Monday, April 9, 2012

30 Days of Pinterest: Day 8

Day 8 of 30 Days of Pinterest fell on Easter Sunday and while I’m not particularly religious, I decided I was going to bake some cupcakes for my family. With mini eggs on top. And that’s what I did!

I took inspiration from Like Mam Used To Bake’s nest cupcakes, as well as this pin too. I decided to use the same recipe that I used for my chocolate truffle cupcakes.

DSC02692

Chocolate Nest Cupcakes

Ingredients

150g Butter, softened

150g Caster Sugar

175g Self Raising Flour

50g Cocoa powder

3 eggs, beaten

Vanilla Essence

About 2-3 tablespoons melted dark chocolate

For the Icing

75g Butter

150g icing sugar

50g melted dark chocolate

Mini Eggs

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Cream the butter and the sugar together until fluffy.

2. Add in half egg mixture and half the flour and cocoa powder and beat.

3. Add remaining egg mixture and vanilla essence and beat.

4. Fold in remaining flour mixture. Once it is fully folded in, fold in some of the melted truffle mixture.

5. Spoon into liner and bake for 10-15 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean (length of time to bake will depend on how big you make the cupcakes). Leave to cool fully before icing.

6. To make the icing, melt the white chocolate either in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of boiling water. Take off heat and let cool.

7. Cream the butter and icing sugar together. Once smooth, add the white chocolate and mix to incorporate. To make the nest shape, put icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle, make a circle and add some to the centre of the ‘nest’ so the mini eggs will stay in place.

DSC02693

I also crumbled up some Flake bars and sprinkled over some of the nests to give it more of a ‘twiggy’ look. I also chose green cupcake liners for the effect of grass or leaves.

DSC02696

Also I ended up with a little cake mixture left over, so I decided to make some smaller cupcakes with only 2 eggs on top. I thought they looked so cute, almost too good to eat! Almost…

DSC02700

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...