Day 8 of 30 Days of Pinterest fell on Easter Sunday and while I’m not particularly religious, I decided I was going to bake some cupcakes for my family. With mini eggs on top. And that’s what I did!
Chocolate Nest Cupcakes
150g Butter, softened
150g Caster Sugar
175g Self Raising Flour
50g Cocoa powder
3 eggs, beaten
About 2-3 tablespoons melted dark chocolate
For the Icing
150g icing sugar
50g melted dark chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Cream the butter and the sugar together until fluffy.
2. Add in half egg mixture and half the flour and cocoa powder and beat.
3. Add remaining egg mixture and vanilla essence and beat.
4. Fold in remaining flour mixture. Once it is fully folded in, fold in some of the melted truffle mixture.
5. Spoon into liner and bake for 10-15 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean (length of time to bake will depend on how big you make the cupcakes). Leave to cool fully before icing.
6. To make the icing, melt the white chocolate either in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of boiling water. Take off heat and let cool.
7. Cream the butter and icing sugar together. Once smooth, add the white chocolate and mix to incorporate. To make the nest shape, put icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle, make a circle and add some to the centre of the ‘nest’ so the mini eggs will stay in place.
I also crumbled up some Flake bars and sprinkled over some of the nests to give it more of a ‘twiggy’ look. I also chose green cupcake liners for the effect of grass or leaves.
Also I ended up with a little cake mixture left over, so I decided to make some smaller cupcakes with only 2 eggs on top. I thought they looked so cute, almost too good to eat! Almost…