Vanilla Yoghurt Cake with Orange Glaze
1 2/3 cup plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g vanilla yogurt
½ cup vegetable oil
4 tbsp orange juice
1 cup icing sugar
2-3 tsp orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease and line a loaf pan (though honestly,if I was to do this again I’d used a round tin). Whisk the sugar, egg and egg yolk together in a bowl for about 3 minutes until it turns a pale yellow.
2. Add vanilla extract and oil and beat until fully incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
4. Add half the dry ingredients on a slow setting. Then add half the yoghurt and 2 tbsp of orange juice and mix. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix. Finally add the remaining yoghurt and mix by hand using a spatula until it is all smooth.
5. Pour into pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Allow to cool completely before pouring glaze on top.
7. To make the glaze, sift the icing sugar into a bowl, add the orange juice and mix until smooth. I’d suggest add two tbsp of orange juice if you want a thicker glaze, I used 3 and it ended up quite runny.
8. Pour the glaze of the cake and enjoy!
I don’t think I’d be wanting to try this recipe again in a hurry. Maybe I did something wrong but the cake collapsed a bit for me after I was waiting for it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
Insert sad trombone noiseAlso, it was a very moist cake after I added the glaze, verging on being a bit soggy. And I had halved the glaze in the first place!! It did taste nice but then again, I’m not one to waste cake! To be fair, the person who wrote the recipe likes to use small loaf tins for this and I think it would work better in small tins.
I do have half a pot of yoghurt to use up though, I might make some yoghurt pancakes tomorrow.