I’m surprised I managed to get anything done today seeing as I woke up with a sore throat (let’s hope it’s not as bad as I the one I had this week last year!). I managed to get a massive dose of motivation this evening and cleaned the car, the kitchen, the sitting room and the bedroom. Phew! In doing so I worked up a big appetite and went straight to my food board on Pinterest. This pin caught my eye and brought me to Alida’s Kitchen blog post on Baked Tortellini with Spinach. I didn’t copy the recipe exactly, I decided to use some gnocchi instead and throw in the cheeses I had on hand. This was the result!
Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake
1 packet of gnocchi (about 500g)
Handful of spinach (I used frozen, but you can use fresh)
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 Tbsp flour
A couple of handfuls of cheese (I used 2/3 cheddar, 1/3 parmesan at first, then added some mozzarella for stringiness. Fontina cheese would be good here)
Handful of breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook the spinach, drain and squeeze out excess moisture. Set aside.
2. Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil, add gnocchi and cook. Drain.
3. While the gnocchi is cooking, make the cheese sauce. Add the butter to a saucepan and melt. Add the flour and a whisk together until incorporated. Add the milk gradually while whisking until it begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper. Take off heat and add cheese, stirring to melt.
4. Add the spinach to the drained gnocchi and stir. Add the sauce and stir to coat.
5. Add the mixture to a pregreased baking dish. Top with bread crumbs and dot with mozzarella.
6. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese has browned on top.
7. Enjoy! You could serve with some garlic bread if you like.
Ooey gooey goodness! I’ve made this before with blue cheese, it’s delicious!
Are you a fan of gnocchi? If so, how do you like to make it? Let me know in the comments!