Saturday, October 29, 2011

Halloween Baking: Witches Fingers

IMG_1022

I love Halloween. It’s hands down my favourite time of the year. Chilly weather that’s great for snuggling, costumes and an excuse for good foods and parties!

Despite this, I don’t usually bake much for Halloween, even though I’d love to have a big party and try out loads of different things. Last year though I made these for my brothers and sisters and they worked out great! I’m definitely going to make them again this year.

Witches Fingers

Adapted from BBC Good Food

Ingredients

100g caster sugar

100g butter

1 egg yolk

200g plain flour

½ tsp Vanilla essence

Salt

20 blanched almonds

red food colouring

Method

1. Mix the caster sugar, butter, egg yolk, flour, vanilla essence and a pinch of salt together until a bag of dough is formed (best done in a mixer but it can be done by hand, which is what I did).

2. Break off golf-ball sized pieces of dough and roll into finger shapes.

3. Line a baking sheet with grease proof paper and place fingers on, making sure to leave some gaps between them. With a knife, make cuts in the dough to form knuckles.

4. Place almonds at the end of each finger. Place the tray in a fridge for 30 minutes and then bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 10-12 minutes, until just firm.

5. Leave to cool to little and then if desired, paint the almond ‘fingernails’ with food colouring. You can be neat about it or else a bit sloppy like me to make it look like blood!

Happy Halloween everyone!

2 comments:

  1. They look A'scustin' & delicious all in one :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! They are kinda gross looking, but they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...