Saturday, November 7, 2015

(Not so) Unusual Hobbies #BEDN

Today's theme for Blog Every Day in November is Unusual Hobbies. And because I'm boring I don't have any of those. And I never have!

My first proper 'go out and do something' hobby was Irish Dancing. Something most Irish kids will experience in some degree in their life! I had 3 different teachers at certain stages of my life but I never stuck to it. I also tried Set Dancing when I was in secondary school and while I picked it up fast enough, I was made dance as a boy and wasn't happy to do so as a beginner so I stopped going. At the age of 16 I also did modern hip-hop dancing but again didn't stick to it.

Also as a child, I played the tin whistle. Again, most Irish kids come up against the mighty tin whistle at some stage of their life. I remember my cousin started playing it in 2nd class and because I was in 1st class I had to wait a year. I did use her tin whistle though and worked out how to play a song or two before going into 2nd class. From there, I played it up until I was 15, using it as part of my Junior Certificate Music exam and then stopped (are you sensing a theme here?!). I asked in a music shop in the Trafford Centre whether they sold tin whistles as I was really itching to play again earlier this year, The guy said no but 'it's a cool instrument'. I shook my head, it's not really a cool instrument but nice try music guy. I do however want this Hairy Baby t-shirt!



As for other hobbies I've picked up over the years, they include reading (probably my first ever hobby), baking, and knitting. I learned how to knit when I was 7, in school and also by my grandmother. I've knit on and off over the years but it wasn't until I started going to a knitting group in Manchester early 2014 that I've learnt to love knitting again and progressed from knitting just a square shape! I have touched needles since July though and I have tons of knitting projects I want to do for Christmas so I need to get my act together. I'm proud of what I've made over the past 2 years and love updating my Ravelry to show my progress.

Just some of my completed projects on Ravelry!

As for unusual hobbies, I don't know what I'd like to do that is unusual. I once tried fire spinning! A group of friends and I saw some people dancing on the local beach, thought it was the circus that was in town at the time and went down to have a closer look. Turns out a few of us knew one of the people as a customer in our summer job at the time. We got chatting and they let us have a go, first without it being on fire and then it being lit. It was so cool spinning and twirling around. And speaking of twirling, my sister once got a gymnastics ribbon as part of our her Christmas present from an uncle and I found that I loved pretending I was a gymnastic. Maybe I'll start that up, new career for me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...