Friday, January 29, 2016

Recent Book Acquistions

Thanks to Christmas and the sales, I’ve managed to acquire a number of new books and thought I’d share them here.

books

Going from top to bottom

The Robber Bridegroom by Brothers Grim- I loved the Penguin 80 Classics when they came out, they’re such a great idea. Small books for 80p (about €1.20), really handy to put in your handbag. I didn’t manage to pick any up when they were first released but when I saw them in O’Mahony’s Bookshop I picked this one up, it has several Brothers Grimm tales in it including Snow White, which has an interesting ending for the Wicked Stepmother!

H is For Hawk by Helen Macdonald- This book was all over the place last year. I never got a chance to pick it up and so I was delighted to get it for Christmas. After Helen’s father dies, she’s devastated. Helen decides to train a goshawk and the book is part nature writing, part memoir as she learns to deal with the bereavement of her father and the beauty of this bird.

It’s Not Me It’s You by Mhairi McFarlane- I’ve seen Mhairi McFarlane’s books around before but never really looked into them until Leena Norms mentioned this book in a video. Delia Moss loves her boyfriend and their life so she decides to propose. After not getting the reaction she expected, she finds out he has been sleeping around and she goes to stay with a friend in London.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini- My Mum was going to donate this book so I snagged it. I have yet to read any Hosseini, despite owning The Kite Runner, but I thought I’d grab this anyway. The book is about two women in Kabul born a generation apart and with different ideals who are brought together in the war. It sounds like a beautiful story.

Upcycling Celebrations by Danny Seo- A gift from my aunt, this is a DIY book about upcycling projects, turning old things into new things. Hopefully it’ll help with my crafting and creativity this year!

About Face by Aisling McDermott and Laura Kennedy- I have Aisling’s two previous books and can’t wait to properly get stuck into this! The subtitle to this book is ‘A Smart Woman’s Guide to Beauty’ and I have no doubt it will be this, full of tips for skincare and makeup. Love the cover too, so classy.

Colour Therapy for Adults by Alligator Publishing- I have a few colouring books but I like the look of this one, nothing too intricate and they kind of remind me of spirographs that just need to be coloured in.

E-books

       sofia khan is not obliged lumberjanes what if

Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik- I first saw this in one of Leena’s videos and then when I noticed it was one of WH Smith’s Fresh Talents for Winter 2016 I decided to buy it on Kindle. Unlucky in love Sofia is ready to give up men for good until her boss asks her to write an expose all about Muslim dating. I’ve read a good amount of romantic comedies, most if not all of the women being white so I’m looking foward to see a spin on the genre.

Lumberjanes Volume 1 by Grace Ellis, Noelle Stevenson and Brooke Allen- I’d seen this on Rincey videos before so I decided to give it a shot when I saw it for 99p on Kindle. 5 best friends spending their summer at the Lumberjane camp where they kick ass against all sorts of strange animals and monsters and solve mysteries.

What If? by Randall Munroe- Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve definitely seen xkcd comics online. This book is by the creator and he looks at odd and crazy questions like ‘when will Facebook contain more profiles of dead people than livng’ and ‘How many humans would a T-Rex rampaging through New York need to eat a day?’. He approaches it with research, wit and sometimes comics and sounds right up my alley.

And that’s it! I did order a book from Easons and it was cancelled as it wasn’t in stock. So I have another voucher to spend there and haven’t decided yet what to spend it on. I have actually read a handful of these books already so you’ll see the reviews in my reading wrap up. But if you’ve read any of these I’d love to hear your thoughts on them.

4 comments:

  1. Some great books here! I've only read The Kite Runner, great book. Really want to read H is for Hawk & About Face- keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I've added these books to the books I own to read pile, I'm hoping to plough through that this year as the bulk of my current bookcase is nearly all unread! I almost bought H is for Hawk last year so I'm hoping I'll get around to it soon enough!

      Delete
  2. About Face is brilliant, it's the kind of book like Pretty Honest that you could just keep dipping in and out of, or read over and over. I'm reading What If? at the minute and it's very enjoyable, bit of a Ben Goldacre feel off it but much wittier and easier to read. I think I've read one Mhairi Macfarlane book but I can't remember what it was! I'd like to read H is for Hawk, sounds like such an interesting premise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah glad to hear that about About Face, I loved Pretty Honest last year. And I'm glad to hear that about What If? as well! I read Ben Goldacre's first book and enjoyed it but whenever I've tried to pick up Bad Pharma I've been put off for some reason!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...