Friday, November 5, 2010

30 Day Music Meme: Day Four

Day 4- A song that makes you sad

So many songs make me. Some are because I associate it with a person in my life that has died. Some are just because the music or lyrics describe how I feel better than I can myself. So it was hard to pick one song for this day.

Clocks by Coldplay makes me sad as the music is so haunting, like many Coldplay songs. I think I enjoy listening to Coldplay when I’m in a melancholy mood. I’m of the belief that it’s ok to feel sad sometimes, it’s a natural emotion. I don’t think it’s healthy to dwell on it for too long though, just like most emotions really. But the music or lyrics isn’t just why I chose this song. It’s also because it reminds me of my grandmother. I had bought the single on CD and used to play it on loop on my Discman when going to visit her in a hospice, just before she died in 2003. So this song holds many bittersweet memories for me.

According to an article on MTV, the song is about the ‘helplessness of being in a dysfunctional relationship that you don’t necessarily want to escape’. And that’s kinda how I feel when listening to this song. It can be painful to remember the sad memories connected to this but at the same time I don’t want to stop listening. It’s such a beautiful song and I love the lyrics. The title even serves to remind me that as time goes on, so must life. The good and the bad.

 

(As of posting this, the playcount of this video alone is near 15 million. Just goes to prove how good a song it is!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...