Saturday, November 27, 2010

30 Day Music Meme: Day Twenty Six

Day 26- A song you can play on an instrument

Like most Irish children, I learned to play the tin whistle in primary school. In first class, the year before we started lessons in class, I picked up my cousin’s tin whistle and taught myself to play the chorus to Turn on the Sun by Nana Mouskouri. First song I learned to play in lessons was Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. I continued playing traditional Irish music on the tin whistle for another seven years, including in my Junior Certificate Music Exam.

I have a relatively good musical ear. Not great, but I picked up my friend’s guitar and taught myself today’s song. Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes. Granted, not the hardest thing, but I have always been interested in learning how to play the guitar. Interested but not motivated. Story of my life.

 

3 comments:

  1. Do you have your own guitar, Breige? That is very cool that you play! I played saxophone for years but I don't recall playing anything in popular, mainstream music. I remember playing "Chariots of Fire" from Forrest Gump but that's about it, lol. Everything else was sheet music for band competitions. Heehee, Richard played Happy Birthday on the keyboards for me on my birthday back in August, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't think i've ever tried playing seven nation army on guitar! teach me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, nope I don't own a guitar. I never have, it was a friend's one. Saxophone is cool! My Mum really wants to learn but she hasn't the time

    Wini, lol I have NO idea what the chords are called, I'd be doing a Phoebe from Friends on it. 'Bear Claw'!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...